Thursday, May 16, 2013

Hornby Insights

A few weeks ago I went to Hornby Island - a small patch of paradise that can be found off the Vancouver Island coast.  I went with my friend Laureen and left the boys at home to fend for themselves (well not entirely - I left some frozen meals in the fridge!!!!).
I could recount to you events from the weekend but that would be superfluous as the photos can do that job.  Instead I want to share with you 10 things about me that were confirmed on this kid, husband, clothes washing, house cleaning free weekend....



1.  I am one lucky girl as I live with my favourite people in the entire world and I get to be with them every day.
Whilst I enjoyed my time away I couldn't help but wish that Bren and the boys were there with me to share in the beauty of this special place. They would have loved it as much (maybe even more) than me!!

2.  That being said I do love my alone time when I can just be.......





























3. I really really really love mornings.  Especially that time of the day when the sun just starts to peak
over the horizon.  I have clarity of thought  and develop some of my best ideas at this time of the day.



4.  Creative people inspire me.  I spent the weekend with a group of incredibly talented, creative women - all photographers.  I loved listening to their conversations and watching them work. They inspired me to take photographs that were a bit different and out of the box.

www.jessehollandphoto.com
6.  I think I'm quite creative anyway but this weekend sparked an interest in wanting to know what makes someone "uber creative".  What do they do differently from the rest of us that helps them tap into that creativity and come up with ideas or images that make an impact.

A 'pear' task inspired by the lovely Michelle Wells
michellewellsphotography.ca
5.  I feel extremely uncomfortable in front of the camera. I don't know why but it makes me feel very self conscious.  I'd much rather be behind the lens.


www.jessehollandphoto.com 
www.jessehollandphoto.com














6.  I really really really really like to laugh.  I love being around people or in situations that make me laugh and feel good.  I think a day without laughter is kinda sad. Actually its downright depressing......    

7.  I love to travel.  I don't care how.  I don't care where.  I just love it.  The fun is not just in the destination its also in the journey. (It took 3 modes of transport and 12 hours of travel time to get to Hornby Island from Kelowna!!)

8.  I think I could be a closet vegetarian!!!! Everyone took turns to cook meals - a few featured tofu - but  all featured tons of veges cooked in the most delicious ways. I ate a little of the chicken on offer but I did not miss animal protein!!!

"Goats on the Roof" market - Coombs - Vancouver Island
If you travel to the island - go here!!! Not only are the goats on the roof hilarious but the market itself is AMAZING...
9.  I want to grow old surrounded by the things I love.  We visited a pottery gallery and met 84 year old Heinz Laffin.  This lovely man continues to work at his rustic studio creating a wide array of works on a non-electric pottery wheel.  He walks with a stoop, a result of years hunched over his pottery wheel but has a smile that would light up a room when he speaks about is work.




 

10.  I really enjoy photography . A lot!!!!  




5 comments:

Unknown said...

Just... awesome

jennifer armstrong said...

love everything about this post, nicky... your words, your insights, your beautiful photographs. Thank you for making the journey here, on all those modes of transport, & bringing your joie-de-vie along with you. You are a sparkle! And we all benefited from your heart-open enthusiasm & fun.

Helen Dobbin said...

They capture the moment so beautifully! The last is very special.fer

Michelle W said...

Beautiful post Nicky. I love that you did the photographs along with your thoughts... it was nice to learn a little bit more about you and so wonderful to have met you. :)

Anonymous said...

Your work is AMAZING!!!! thanks for sharing...i am a wee bit jealous still i didn't get to come with you but it looked lovely!