Sunday, May 17, 2009

Festival of Light - Coomera

Seth's Lantern

Bonfire by the Lake

Pyramid Lanterns made by Local School Kids


Parade Preparations - love the light!!!



Last night Bren, the boys and I went to a local event called the Festival of Light. It is an annual event where local community groups make lanterns with schools in the area and then have a light parade at dusk around a lake. Seth made a star lantern this year at Kindy and so we decided to check the event out. It far exceeded our expectations! The atmosphere was beautiful with lots of free events for the kids (face painting, jumping castle, pony rides, petting zoo, bubbles, dancing displays) and a really awesome live band. The lanterns the older children made were simply elegant and looked stunning when lit.

The lake was decorated with huge (and I mean huge) lanterns of different objects (lions, fish, flying pigs, flowers, etc) which glowed softly.

I took my camera (of course) but forgot to take the tripod (duh!!). I did however manage to get some shots which I think represent the atmosphere of the event really well. They may not be technically perfect but I like the artistic perspective they portray.

We are going to head down to Lismore in a few weeks time to another lantern parade which is apparently on a much grander scale than the one we went to last night. This time I WILL be taking my tripod!!!

1 comment:

Melody Mallyon said...

How awesome!!!!! You have really captured the atmosphere Nick. Look forward to your posts from the Lismore Festival.