Monday, July 23, 2007

I Built This





Call me crazy but I recently had this bee in my bonnet about re-landscaping parts of our front yard. Was tired of mowing the lawn and poisoning the clover and dragging the mower up the stairs. So I got a brainstorm in the shower one night - that's where all good ideas are formed for me I find - and decided to build a pond - a frog pond to be exact. I did a bit of research - made a plan - started imagining it in its final form - and wha-la! Here it is. It took three weeks of digging, shovelling, carting dirt, sand, rocks, mixing cement, digging holes - shopping for plants but it is finally finished (well almost - except for the growing and a few ambient lights). The kids love it - especially Caleb who calls it 'his pond'. We are just waiting for the locals (frogs that is) to find the pond and fall in love with it too. We do have to keep a keen eye out for toads however (the warty - very unfriendly variety) and dispose of their tadpoles.


I had a lot of fun doing this project - it gave me a great sense of satisfaction - I loved the artistic side to landscaping as well as the physical aspect - nothing like getting ones hands dirty (as long as I get a manicure in the next few weeks that is!!!) There is also nothing like creating a bit of peace and tranquility in ones yard either - I love how this area makes me feel. Can't wait till summer when the plants really start to grow and the area starts to look more lush and tropical - it will be hard to keep me away.

No comments: